250 replies to this topic

#151 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

Jacob dang would know how to change this data into a readable network diagram.

VU! Where are you??

can't this be done in visio?
you're a signature.

#152 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

it could be done in visio, but it would have to be put into visio manually.

Skeksis runs the information from the spreadsheet we are updating into a program that creates the network diagram for us.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#153 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

Just some thoughts ...

At some point, will there be involvement / input from people outside of The Shizz?

I have no angle on this at all (because if it's not TheShizz, it's C-RRR-RAP! ha) except that there might be folks outside the website / Shizz circle that can fill in gaps and the like.

Also, are you in need of help of graphing all of the info? That's not meant as a slight to Skeksis because what's popped up is sweet and it's pretty exciting to see it all in one swoop, but there are some folks outside of the Shizz who might have some ideas about visualization options.

Just some thoughts again, not trying to step on toes or anything ... if it stays an in-house thing, that would be good, too.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#154 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

i was thinking about sending the spreadsheet link to some band folks, but then worried about someone doing something stupid... deleting it all or screwing with it, somehow. Is there an updated copy saved somewhere that a person couldn't screw up?
I still don't have a signature.

#155 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

i was thinking about sending the spreadsheet link to some band folks, but then worried about someone doing something stupid... deleting it all or screwing with it, somehow. Is there an updated copy saved somewhere that a person couldn't screw up?

I was worried about that too, I made a back-up of it last night.

that is probably the most pathetic sentence I have ever typed.

Anyhoo, it is growing at an alarming rate with everyone's contribution. I am sure most of us could really nerd out on it and fill in a LOT of the gaps. I have a hefty stack of local cds that I could weed through and get a lot more data up.

it would be neat if there was some way to have the data dynamically link to a graphical representation . so we could all watch it grow.
you're a signature.

#156 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

Just some thoughts ...

At some point, will there be involvement / input from people outside of The Shizz?

I have no angle on this at all (because if it's not TheShizz, it's C-RRR-RAP! ha) except that there might be folks outside the website / Shizz circle that can fill in gaps and the like.

Also, are you in need of help of graphing all of the info? That's not meant as a slight to Skeksis because what's popped up is sweet and it's pretty exciting to see it all in one swoop, but there are some folks outside of the Shizz who might have some ideas about visualization options.

Just some thoughts again, not trying to step on toes or anything ... if it stays an in-house thing, that would be good, too.

This happened to start on the shizz, but JRC and Steph are looking to make this the WHOLE scene.
I haven't JRC on here lately to get his take on this stuff yet.

Don't worry about stepping on toes I think this is one of those projects where it's the more the merrier.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#157 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

.....and everyone thought spreadsheets couldn't be fun!????
you're a signature.

#158 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Just some thoughts ...

This happened to start on the shizz, but JRC and Steph are looking to make this the WHOLE scene.
I haven't JRC on here lately to get his take on this stuff yet.

Don't worry about stepping on toes I think this is one of those projects where it's the more the merrier.

We want it to be inclusive as possible, but we know there are going to have to be some sort of boarders, just to make it managable.
Any suggestions on that?

Also, we don't want all the work done ahead of time, we want it to develope over the course of the month or 2 that it is up on our wall for two reasons: Its cooler and more fun to "DO IT LIVE" and because, if you've already figured it out here, what's the point of coming to see the show, ya know?

Maybe we should start thinking about the hub were going to put up, to give people enough raw material to base their additions off of, and then depending on how it develops over the weeks, we can go back and add obvious omissions and such?

As for being shizz/non-shizz? If the show generates any $$, we want some of that to go to maintaining the site.
My original idea was to use the shizz as the cental hub, not to make it dominant or seem overly important, but just because its the most obvious "center" I knew of.
It already seems to have moved away from that, which is fine too (this is an idea in development after all).
But, what should be the starting point then?

Also, just because we include one band doesn't mean some other won't be added, there isn't a set number of acts we're looking to stop at.
I guess my "vote" is to make it shizz-centric, but not shizzspecific: Sun City Girls, JFA are huge in the AZ music history, but to my knowledge neither had any major shizz connection (sorry if I'm wrong about that), but yea they need to be on their, and I'm sure we can find a valid band/person to make the link.

Thanks again,
JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#159 degrae

degrae

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Who was in Protein On Sea?

#160 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

Didn't mean to stifle the discussion here?
Hope I didn't?

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#161 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

SO STIFLED RIGHT NOW!
you're a signature.

#162 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I am gonna try and put in some extra information to match up some of the bands that don't have the remaining band members in them.

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

#163 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

Didn't mean to stifle the discussion here?
Hope I didn't?

JRC

Way to stifle discussion, dude.

Discussion stifler.
I still don't have a signature.

#164 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Just a couple thoughts regarding this project...

first - when you go to display this stuff... something roughly like the diagram I've been working on... it won't just happen with people adding their info somewhere along a wall. too much info, too hard to manage. it'll look something like the first image attached below (random arrangment). I think by working out as much as possible beforehand, at least you'll have a little control over how it gets displayed. It'll keep growing, but it won't be chaos. anyway, I imagine what I'm doing as a starting point for that...

second - the diagram I've pushed so far does a great job of illustrating the 'social network' of the music scene. BUT it doesn't really provide any sense of time, nor active vs defunct projects. basically, it's a cool way of looking at the system, but it's not really a family tree... you should probably think about a handful of ways to illustrate the scene and its history. I think a cool complement to the network diagram would be something more like a 'proper' family tree. that'll have to a fairly subjective thing, though. It'd need a starting point - a single band to map out a geneaology. maybe do this for a couple bands... instead of bands and people as separate nodes, you'd use bands as nodes and individuals as connecting lines, arrayed in a more directional way. something like that, anyway.

today's update pushes the diagram to 103 individuals, 213 bands, and 390 ties. (second image below)

#165 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

today's update pushes the diagram to 103 individuals, 213 bands, and 390 ties. (second image below)

best desktop background ever!
you're a signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users